Although they’ve been called rats of the sky and dusty disaster doves, pigeons have a special place in my heart. I love the way that they, like the humble canal, represent a marriage of urban and natural elements – they’re creatures and they poo outside (which, despite my friends’ protests, is certainly natural), but they also live in concrete and eat KFC – decidedly urban pursuits.
In my long career of Looking at Pigeons, I’ve spotted them doing some pretty funky shit. Here are my favourites:
- Washing their bottoms in Chap Fountain
- Fighting on the windowsill
- Browsing at a farmers’ market
- Sitting in the elephant enclosure at Chester Zoo
- Hopping on one leg
- Sitting next to the elephant enclosure at Chester Zoo, seemingly watching the elephants
- Standing next to other birds eg ducks, flamingoes etc
- Scaring me (on purpose?)
Never change, pigeons.